Since 1982 Econ Construction has been using its experience, expertise and specialist knowledge to meet the needs of its customers in the construction, infrastructure, utilities and transport industries.
As a family owned and managed company we pride ourselves on delivering professional and first class services to a growing number of customers across the UK. Although we have grown considerably over recent years we ensure we are always ‘large enough to matter and small enough to care’.
We work in close partnership with our customers and as a result have developed and refined our service offering to cover:
- Demolition and dismantling (including refurbishment, recycling, reclamation, asset recovery, strip out works and land remediation)
- Railway projects
- Waste management solutions, including crushing and screening of building materials
- Remote demolition using ‘ state of the art’ Robots
- Safe asbestos removal and disposal
- Concrete Cutting and Diamond Drilling
- Decontamination, including tank cleaning
- De-gassing of all appliances involved in mechanical and electrical engineering installations
- Disposal of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs)
Our History and Heritage
The current company began life in 1948 when it operated as a demolition and dismantling specialist to meet the demands of the post war environment. It was and remains a family firm and several generations continue to be actively involved in managing and working within the business.
As the company grew so did its services, including a scrap metal and recycling facility.
In 1982 Econ Construction Limited was established specialising in demolition and dismantling. Committed to providing customers with a complete solution Econ Construction has consistently reviewed its services and expanded its team of specialists to meet demand.
From acquiring its first asbestos removal license in 1986 to the introduction of remote demolition and the launch of the Diamond Drilling and Sawing Division in 2016 Econ has strived to be an innovative and responsive company that offers superb customer service and quality.
- Quality standards – we take great pride in the quality of everything we do from the service we give our clients to the technology solutions we adopt and the support we give our workforce
- Customer focus –we are committed to delivering the very best service for our customers. We work to ‘exceed expectations’ and ‘go the extra mile’ to deliver outstanding results and value. We are also committed to investing in the long term development of our workforce.
- Integrity – quality rules not just profit and we always aim to exceed legislative requirements when it comes to environmental excellence.
- Innovation – we are constantly reviewing new available technologies so we can offer customers the very best value services that support their requirements.
- Sustainability – as a company that is involved in waste management we are very conscious of the need for maintaining a sustainable environment. We are acutely aware of our and our customers’ obligations in this area and strive to be leader in the industry.
We take our environmental responsibilities very seriously. We review our environmental practices regularly so that we pursue the ‘spirit’ rather than the letter of the law. Because of our background we are a naturally prudent and careful organisation ensuring we don’t create unnecessary waste and take care of our resources in a sustainable way.
Examples of our environmentally positive approach include:
- Operating our own mobile crushing plant to process rubble, concrete, asphalt and stone on-site. This produces an excellent product which is used for making up levels, piling mats and as a sub base for construction. Producing an on-site aggregate of this nature reduces the need for lorry journeys and contributes to a lower carbon footprint for the project.
- Saving and reusing as much material as possible. Bricks, timber, slates, paving and cobbles are cleaned and reused on building developments across the UK.
- Salvaging and recycling assets such as doors, windows, furniture, flooring and fixtures and fitting. Not only does this impact positively on the environment it generates valuable income for the customer.
The safety of our workers, customers and the general public is fundamental to our work and of paramount importance to our operation. Safety is at the forefront of all of our systems, procedures and work schedules and our health and safety record ranks with the best in the industry. Here are some example of our systematic approach to health and safety:
- Our HSE approved risk assessments and method statements exceed current legislative requirements and meet with all CDM rulings.
- All of our operatives receive a wide variety of regular training, including refresher tool box talks to organised qualification courses run by recognised bodies such as CITB and UKATA.
- Our health and safety manual is monitored annually by SGS Yarsley, part of the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. We are also accredited by Achilles RISQS, the railway certification company and registered with the Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme (CHAS)
- To supplement our own health and safety advisor we use external assessors to provide feedback on safety standards and performance at our sites.
- We welcome scrutiny and have been monitored and audited by SGS Yarsley International, Achilles RISQS and the HSE plus clients such as BAE Systems, FORS for transport operations. We are also monitored by our trade membership bodies such as the National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC) , the Asbestos Removal Contactors Association (ARCA) and the Drilling and Sawing Association ( DSA).
- We are proud of our safety record, having never received a prosecution, prohibition or enforcement notice, or a loss time injury. We have also consistently held a full three year Asbestos License. All of these achievements reflect our good working practices.
Our Safety Aims
- We will always behave in a safe manner, look out for my colleagues and challenge any unsafe behaviour
- We will always assess and control risks before starting any works activity
- We will only let colleagues perform activities they are fully trained and authorised to carry out
- We will always issue the correct ppe for the task and adopts “colleague keeper policy”
- We will always ensure our Health and Safety culture grows in a positive direction
- We will always empower our staff to stop work and ask questions if they feel unsafe
- We will always ensure an open-door policy to senior management whilst at work
- We will always report hazard spots, unsafe acts, near misses and accidents
"We found Econ to be talented and professional. We recently employed them to undertake some regeneration work to help us prepare for the building of our new Queen Elizabeth II Centre. Our experience of working with them was excellent. They were conscientious and efficient when working to a tight deadline and we have no hesitation recommending them for other projects."
"I have worked with Econ on many projects within London Underground and Network Rail infrastructure. Econ have always been very proactive in their approach to the projects and have worked collaboratively with my teams from the very early stages. I would definitely recommend them to others"
"Also evident was the pride the staff have in what they do and the care they take to work safely at all times and offer the best service possible to their clients"