Asbestos Removal and Demolition
Econ Construction undertook the role of principle contractor to carry out Asbestos Removal and Demolition of former swimming pool, Stores and plant room in an operational school campus. The buildings to be demolished were constructed in 1902 and used previously as a hospital and mortuary in its early years. The structures to be demolished were in close proximity to a Grade II listed wall that bordered the site and Brunswick square gardens and this was protected throughout the works using a protection scaffold cantilevered from the inside of the structures to be demolished.
The demolition works were carried out using careful hand demolition and mechanical demolition to ensure that the listed wall was not damaged at any stage of the works and that noise pollution and vibration was minimised during the project to ensure that students were not disrupted during the project.
- Liaison with Local Authority and local community prior to works including the arranging of permits and licenses to carry out the works.
- Installation of security hoardings.
- GRP Ground Radar Survey of existing services.
- Pre-condition survey of Grade II listed wall.
- Asbestos Refurbishment and Demolition surveys and subsequent removal of hazardous materials from structures to be demolished.
- Asbestos removal using in house staff.
- Isolation and diversion of existing services.
- Temporary works design for the installation of temporary works and demolition design sequencing for structures to be demolished.
- Installation of protective scaffold to listed structures and to protect public interface within park throughout the works.
- Soft strip of all structures prior to demolition.
- Vibration and dust monitoring throughout works.
- Concrete cutting at separation points between structures to be retained and structures to be demolished.
- Demolition of structures using a variety of careful hand demolition and mechanical demolition.
- Removal of slabs and foundations to former structures
- Recycling of arising materials
- Installation of pilling matt.
These works were carried out to budget and programme with no disruption to the operational school campus or users of Brunswick gardens.
Full time Project Manager, Quantity Surveyor, Site Manager. Econ’s team included staff who met the following requirements: SSTS, CCDO and CPCS
Mobile Elevated Working Platforms, 15t & 8t Demolition Excavator with Various Attachments